The following are some of the benefits of seeking drugs and alcohol addiction treatment:
- Patients can break their drugs and alcohol addiction cycle
- Patients acquire more knowledge about addiction
- Rehab centers help patients in treating underlying causes of addiction
- Through rehabs, patients develop new practices and habits
- Rehabs centers help their client to establish healthy boundaries
What is Individual Counseling?
Individual counseling is how patients work personally with a competent mental health clinician in a confidential, caring, and safe setting.
Counseling enables a person to explore their beliefs, feelings, and habits, overcome their challenging or influential memories, identify their life aspects, improve their self-esteem, set personal objectives, and work towards the change they want.
Individual counseling mainly focuses on a person’s immediate or near future worries. It also involves career planning and counseling, grief after losing a loved one, or dealing with drugs and alcohol addiction issues. Most alcohol addiction treatment facilities offer individual counseling.
Alcohol Addiction Therapy Types
The following are types of therapeutic alcohol addiction approaches that are proven to be effective:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: The original purpose of this therapy approach was to prevent relapse among individuals suffering from alcohol use disorder. This approach’s primary focus involves identifying methods to anticipate difficulties by understanding personal patterns and establishing healthier coping mechanisms.
- Contingency Management: Like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, this approach involves understanding individual patterns and establishing better coping solutions. However, there are physical rewards such as vouchers to remunerate positive behavioral changes.
- Community Reinforcement: This therapy approach is effective for both cocaine and alcohol addiction treatment. It focuses on helping patients to improve their family relationships, acquire skills to reduce chances of alcohol and drug addiction relapse, receive vocational training or counseling, and identify new social networks. This treatment approach may or may not involve vouchers or other types of rewards.
- Motivational Enhancement Therapy: This therapy approach focuses on resolving uncertainty about alcoholism treatment. It offers fast and initial sessions with many questions, evaluating individual or behavioral conditions caused by alcoholism, and successive therapy sessions that create an effective plan to remain optimistic about recovery after the therapy sessions.
Importance of Counseling For Families Of Alcoholics?
Drugs and alcohol addiction recovery require more than the detox process. Detoxification only deals with the physical recovery for alcohol or other substances. Therapy deals with the emotional and mental needs of a patient undergoing recovery.
Since people use substances and alcohol to self-medicate or when they encounter challenging circumstances, there are several unique thoughts and emotions to deal with after eliminating the substances from the patient’s body.
Therapy helps a person put pieces back together and address their problems, allowing them to return to their everyday lives. Ongoing treatments also help in the prevention of relapse. There are several psychological issues or social circumstances which trigger a relapse.
Individuals counseling addresses these triggers, including situational triggers, environmental factors, and social cues.
Therefore, despite many people’s belief that addiction recovery is mainly about detox, total recovery from drugs or alcohol is a continuous process that involves several therapies and steps.